Sunday, July 20, 2014

Graduation!

My first "real bakery" cake...
it's adorable, isn't it?
Now that life is slowly falling back into place since moving back home, I figured it's time to take the chance to wrap up this blog before moving on to the next phase of my life.

Clinical year, as I previously said, was a whirlwind.  It's insanely busy compared to what "real life" as a veterinarian appears to be.  I returned to Massachusetts in late May to finish up my final rotation of clinics at a local referral hospital, and have settled back into the new apartment with my old roommate (and his girlfriend, who is in the process of moving in).  Liamuiga and Reese have adapted quite well to their new roommates, including Kami, a 6 year old mutt that Jeff and I adopted from the Northeast Animal Shelter years ago.

Graduation was in a suburb of Miami called Coral Gables, which meant that the family and I had to fly to Florida for the ceremony.  It was so nice to see old friends, and the rest of the "green family" together once again, even if it was only for the few days.  In true Ross standards, much of the ceremony surrounding the graduation itself was elaborate (and, quite over-the-top).  I have my own gripes about the ceremony itself, but those are personal issues that are not worth delving into in a public forum such as this.  The important thing, however, was that I finally got my academic hood!  I'd coveted those things since receiving my Bachelor's degree!  I guess the diploma was important too...

I received my MA veterinary license shortly after applying for it in June.  However, I'm still in the process of finding a full-time job as a general practitioner.  Luckily, I have had several colleagues put in a good referral with a weekend job doing vaccination clinics with a company called Luv My Pet.

And with that, I end this blog... now that the journey to becoming a veterinarian is complete.  This does not mean that I'm done blogging at all, however!  I mentioned in my last post that I was starting a travel blog (The Wandering Veterinarian), and I will be writing my first post about Miami over on there once I finish this one.

I hope that my journey helps prospective veterinary students in making their decisions, whether it be which school to attend, or if they want to become a veterinarian at all.  By all means, please contact me on Facebook or email (icedragon1023 at gmail.com) if I can be of any further assistance.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."  --Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment